CUFC Code of Conduct
All CUFC Members (players, parents, coaches) are mandated to adhere to the CUFC Code of Conduct and Core Values and are deemed to have read, understood and AGREE to abide by all the CUFC Policies and Procedures as part of the registration process.
This code is deemed part of the CUFC Policies and applies to all members of Chestermere United FC upon registration, and includes coaches, team managers, parents, players, volunteers and guests. It is assumed that these people act in co-operation with one another to develop a suitable and respectful environment for all.
It is the intention of this policy to promote Fair Play and Respect for all participants within the Chestermere Soccer Community. It is required that all members of Chestermere United FC read and understand the Code of Conduct. It is expected that all members, as noted above, will observe and follow all of the principles contained within this Code of Conduct.
Parents are responsible for conveying the information contained in this policy to all family members and to their guests.
All Club Members (Players, Parents, Guests, Coaches, Team Administrators and Volunteers)
- I will treat everyone fairly regardless of gender, race, place of origin, colour, sexual orientation, (dis)ability, religion, political belief, or economic status.
- I will conduct myself in a respectful and positive manner at all facilities and functions and will be mindful that I represent Chestermere United FC and set an example for others.
- I will applaud good plays by all players – our teams’ and the opponents’. I will not be critical of or embarrass any player, including opposition players.
- I will show respect for all players, parents, spectators, officials and myself, both in victory and defeat and will encourage all athletes to act accordingly. I will respect the venues where we play by leaving them clean and safe when I leave.
- I will not criticize or question the referee’s judgment. I recognize that officials are being developed in the same manner as players and that the officials’ calls are part of the sport.
- I will not yell, taunt, threaten or inflict physical violence upon any player, parent, referee, official or spectator at any function or activity.
- I will not use profanity or vulgar language or make racial, ethnic or gender related slurs or comments at any time at any function or activity.
- I will support all efforts to remove verbal and physical abuse from soccer. Fighting, bullying or abuse will not be tolerated, and I will take a stand against these with my teammates and Club members.
- I will support a sports environment that is free of alcohol, drugs or tobacco. I will refrain from their use at all soccer events, activities or functions.
- I will embrace the spirit of volunteerism at CUFC, from small tasks, like helping a coach to carry equipment, to working on Club projects and supporting Club fundraising efforts. The Club is what we all make it.
- I understand that I am required to be familiar with the Policies, Procedures and By-laws of CUFC and where practical, be familiar with the Rules of Soccer.
- I have made a commitment to my own development as a player and to my team and Club and will always work hard to do my best at practices, games and events.
- I will make every effort to attend all practices and games and will arrive on time and be ready to play, 15 minutes before practices and 45 minutes before games. I will keep my extra equipment in my bag and will line my bag up with my teammates’ and join my team to prepare and warm up together.
- I will advise my coaching team, as soon as I am aware, if and why I will miss a practice or game, or if I am running late.
- I will show respect to my coaches and do my best to meet their expectations and goals, including practicing at home as requested.
- I will fulfill all of my responsibilities, including schoolwork and family obligations, and as school is a priority, I will inform my coaching staff of any difficulties that may affect my soccer commitments.
- I will proudly wear my CUFC kit for practices and games and will ensure that my gear is always clean and in good repair, both for safety and out of respect for my team and Club. I will wear my black practice jersey to all practices and will bring it to all games as a back-up jersey. Mandatory kit includes white game jersey, black practice jersey, black soccer shorts, shin pads covered by black socks, and proper soccer footwear. Any long sleeved shirt worn under my jersey must be either black or white.
- I will always perform a proper warm-up before playing and will not leave practices or games until I have done a proper cool-down, and will arrive and leave in track pants and jacket, when needed, for proper muscle care.
- I will follow proper CUFC nutrition and hydration guidelines to take care of my body, maximize my ability to play and prevent injury. I will bring at least 1.5 L of water in labeled bottles to all practices and games. (An average water bottle is fine for Grassroots.)
- I will be prepared for possible weather conditions with appropriate clothing and gear (including sun lotion, insect repellent, etc.). Practices and games will go ahead in all but the most severe conditions and are to be considered as scheduled unless a cancellation notice has been sent.
- I will report injuries to the Club/coaching staff in a timely manner. I will respect myself and my team by not concealing any injuries and by not playing while injured. I understand that I can only return to play after medical treatment upon giving my coach a medical note that clears me to play.
Parents and Guests
- I understand and will support my player’s responsibilities, as stated above.
- I will work to create a positive experience for all players and teams and will help to make it FUN. I will not force my/any child to participate in soccer. Players do not participate in soccer for my benefit; I support their participation for their benefit.
- I will emphasize commitment to the team and a serious approach to participation by ensuring that my player is in attendance and on time at all practices and games, and will advise the coaching staff if this is not possible. I understand the benefits from participating in a team sport, the commitment, the discipline and the social skills acquired.
- I recognize that players have many competing demands and pressures from school, family, friends, sports, religion, etc. and will support them in being well-rounded people and citizens of our community.I will support players to play by the rules and in the spirit of the game, and will support the coaches’ lessons and expectations.
- I will leave the coaching to the coaches. I will not yell out or otherwise give instructions to my player or any other player before, during or after a game. I will cheer and encourage my child to play in a manner consistent with the team’s strategy or plans. I will praise good plays and will not criticize errors, focusing on what is good and fun.
- I will teach players that doing one’s best is more important than winning, so that players will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game, as there are always good lessons to be learned, even from a loss. I will not criticize my player before, during or after play, as this can undermine the information that coaches have instilled. Players need my support above all.
- If my child is U10 or younger, I understand that I must remain at all activities, or must arrange for another known adult to be responsible for my child if I must leave.
- If my child is U12 or older, I understand that I need to ensure that there are team staff members present at the designated time and location before leaving my child, and that I must be present at least 5 minutes before the end of a practice or game. I will allow my child to perform cool-down and finish team discussion before expecting to leave.
- I will respect a mandatory 24-hour “Cooling-off Period” required before taking up a question or concern with coaches, managers or the Club. This provides an opportunity to remove the emotion from an issue and to resolve it in a calm manner. Team members and officials are not required to deal with angry or upset individuals and will ask that you wait the 24 hours before bringing up your concern. For more information, see the CUFC Communications Policy.
- I will communicate any concerns to the coaches first. Should I still have concerns, I will communicate these to the Program Director and will support Chestermere United FC in appropriately addressing any concerns.
- I will work to create a positive experience for all players and teams and will help to make it FUN. I will not force any child to participate in soccer. Players do not participate in soccer for my benefit; I support their participation for their benefit.
- I recognize that players have many competing demands and pressures from school, family, friends, sports, religion, etc. and will support them in being well-rounded people and citizens of our community.
- I will support players to play by the rules and in the spirit of the game.
- I will teach players that doing one’s best is more important than winning, so that players will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game, as there is always good to be learned, even from a loss. Players need my support above all.
- I will prepare sessions with individuals’ Long Term Player Development and team development in mind and will stay true to the Chestermere United FC Style of Play. I will teach players their roles and responsibilities as players and as part of the team.
- I will focus my coaching on positive instruction - teaching my players what TO DO, rather than what NOT to do. I will emphasize the moment when the players are doing it right, so that the coaching point is clear to them. I will use mistakes to guide my players to do better, rather than criticize or punish.
Learning should be fun for everyone involved, and engaged learners learn better!
- I will ensure that players have a safe environment in which to play by minimizing risks in the playing environment and leaving it safe and clean for others when we leave, and by teaching safe play & injury prevention, good nutrition, hydration & health.
- I will ensure that player safety is of primary concern when evaluating the fitness of a player. All players must present a medical note clearing them to play after an injury that has required medical treatment. IF IN DOUBT, SIT THEM OUT.
- I will continue to educate myself as a coach, with courses, books, and mentorship of experienced coaches.
- I will respect the mandatory 24-hour “Cooling-off Period” required before taking up a question or concern with parents, other coaches, or the Club. This provides an opportunity to remove the emotion from an issue and to resolve it in a calm manner.